SEO – You may hate it but don’t ignore it.
Search Engine Optimisation traditionally has been and continues to be one of the most difficult concepts for people to understand when it comes to digital marketing. Most of the people have no idea as to what SEOs do or how it works. Google’s autocomplete tool quite effectively captures this sentiment:
It’s absolutely understandable if you are confused about SEO. As a marketing manager or a business owner, you don’t have time to worry about all this blabber. You need to get the important things done.
But whether you don’t understand, or don’t want to understand SEO, you can’t ignore the value that search engine optimisation (SEO) can bring to your website. Even if you’ve been burned, possibly several times by the so-called ‘SEO Gurus’ in the past, it is important that you maintain SEO as an integral part of your marketing mix. Your business definitely needs to have an SEO strategy in place if you want to succeed in terms of online marketing. The infographic below should reinforce this statement even more:
Here are five major reasons why you should definitely consider investing in an SEO strategy:
- It’s alive and kicking: Search for ‘SEO is Dead’ in Google and you will see thousands if not millions of results ranging from articles & videos to infographics and websites. But is it really? No, not now and not in the foreseeable future. While the SEO landscape has changed dramatically over the last few years, the fundamental techniques still work.
- Your competitors are doing it: The simple fact is that if you are not investing in SEO you are losing critical ground to your competition. Search is the most popular way to find information and if you are not ranking well, you are missing out on huge business opportunities.
- People trust organic: People trust organic search results more and tend to click on those results more frequently than they do paid ads. A new research from GroupM UK and Nielsen, published by eConsultancy, reports that search engine users overwhelmingly click on organic results on Google and Bing by a margin of 94 percent to 6 percent.
- High conversion rate: Web traffic from a good SEO campaign has high conversion potential as you are putting your products and services in front of potential customers when they are actively looking for them.
- It’s cheap: Compared to other digital marketing channels like PPC advertising, Media Buying or Facebook advertising, SEO campaigns tend to have a much stronger ROI.
Get Started with SEO
It’s true that most business websites would need assistance of a professional SEO expert to build and sustain organic rankings. But whether you are a marketing manager, web designer or a content producer, learning the basics of SEO is a must. Basic understanding of these principles would not only help you incorporate SEO more effectively in your marketing mix but will also help evaluate the performance of the SEO professional or the marketing agency working for you.
If you are interested in learning more about SEO and its implementation try the SEO Fundamentals course. This online course is perfect for individuals who wish to gain a greater understanding of SEO, as well as those tasked with implementing and managing a comprehensive digital strategy for their organisation and brand. Whether you are a marketing specialist, a web designer or a small business owner, this course will give you practical knowledge & valuable insights to create & implement a compelling SEO strategy.